This week’s Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish is a nearly impossible task-list our top ten favorite characters of all time. Really? Only 10? Well, I will not give in to nostalgia and fill my list with the likes of Wilbur and Charlotte, Ramona and Beezus, Nancy Drew, Beatrix Potter’s furry creatures, Richard Scarry’s Busy Town residents, Meg Murry, The Ingalls and just about everyone from Harry Potter. Nope, not me. My list will be a modern list. Don’t tell those old guys they got bumped, they all still think they are my favorites and I’d like to keep it that way. Nobody needs to see a pig cry. Anyway…
My Favorite Leading Ladies:
1. Jacky Faber, the star of the Bloody Jack series by L.A. Meyer. Oh, how I love this clever little tart of a girl. She’s not perfect, but she has a big heart and a certain charm about her that helps her out of many a tight spot.
2. Flavia de Luce, the precocious, poison-loving, aspiring chemist from the series bearing her name by Alan Bradley. This amatuer sleuth has a sharp mind, a sharper tongue and a wicked sense of humor.
3. Amber Appleton, the Queen of Optimism from Sorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick. She doesn’t fight pirates or solve mysteries or battle evil paranormals, but this girl is truly gifted. There is something to be said about being the Queen of Optimism. It’s sort of like being a rock star.
4. Piper Vaughn from Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John. Speaking of rock stars…Piper doesn’t let her deafness stop her from managing a rock band. I talk about this book all the time. Because it’s that good.
5. Evie Green, the paranormal bag-and-tag heroine of the Paranormalcy series by Kiersten White. I think Green is her last name. She’s smart, sassy, and stylish-a winning combo in my mind.
Runner’s up-Cammie from The Gallagher Girls, Sophie from Hex Hall, Maggie Quinn from Prom Dates from Hell, and Calpurnia Tate from The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate.
Now, Let’s Hear it For the Boys:
1. Halt, the surly ranger from The Ranger’s Apprentice. The only age-appropriate crush on my list! I love his sarcastic sense of humor and his quiet affection for Will.
2. Cassel Sharpe, the dark, dangerous, and misunderstood hero of the Curse Workers series by Holly Black. I am sure he is totally swoon-worthy, but I love him because he is a tortured soul. Gawd, how how cornball is that?!? Whatever, it’s the truth. Poor Cassel.
3. Percy Jackson is the dyslexic son of a Greek god and the hero of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I can’t wait for my nephews to be old enough to read this series. Percy is such a fun and loveable character.
4. Doug Swieteck from Okay for Now by Gary Schmidt. I glad I met Doug recently. He is a pretty swell guy and I’m not lying.
5. Adam Wilde, the broken-hearted hero of If I Stay and Where She Went by Gayle Forman. Yeah, he’s one of the good guys.
Runners up: Will and Horace from Ranger’s Apprentice, Ed Kennedy from I am The Messenger, and Modo from The Hunchback Assignments.
I really wish I could wrap this up, but I feel the need to add a bonus category for those beloved nonhuman characters.
1. Tasey, Evies pink rhinestone encrusted taser.
2. Gladys, Flavia’s trusty bicycle.
3. Bovril, the perspicacious loris from the Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld.
4. Balder, the Norse god trapped in the body of a garden gnome from Going Bovine by Libba Bray. Man, I love that book. I should have added Cameron Smith to my guys list!
And there you have it, at least 23 of my favorite characters! Who’s on your list?