This week’s Top Ten Tuesday, brought to you by The Broke and The Bookish, is all about new-to-me authors. I hope debut authors count because without them my list would be much shorter and you all know how I like to make long lists!
1. This year I discovered A.S. King when I read Please Ignore Vera Dietz. I definitely plan to read the rest of her works! I think I will work my way backwards and start with Ask the Passengers.
2. This 2012 debut author is certainly new to me, but I plan on us being BFFs for a long time. I LOVED Melissa Meyer‘s Cinder.
3. The first book in Katie Alender‘s Bad Girls Don’t Die series hooked me…and yet I have still not finished the other books. Shame on me!
4. Another new-to-me author is Patrick Ness. The Knife of Never Letting Go was such an amazing read. I really need to get on the rest of the series.
5. Ilsa Bick may be best know for her Star Trek novels (totally not my thing), but I discovered her this year when I picked up her 2011 novel, Ashes. Wowza! I have Shadows waiting for me at home. Must. Read. Faster.
6. Barry Lyga has been writing YA novels for years, but I just “discovered” him this year when I read was I Hunt Killers. Love. Can’t wait for Game. Must have now. While I wait for it to be April, 2013 I should go back and read his other books.
7. I can’t stop recommending this charming and hilarious middle-grade novel by Christopher Healy. Seriously, do yourself a favor and read The Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kingdom. Again, April 2013 can’t get here soon enough. The Hero’s Guide to Storming the Castle? Yes, please.
8. I had a rocky relationship with Laini Taylor‘s The Daughter of Smoke and Bone. When everyone else was gushing about Karou and Akiva way back in 2011 I was like, meh. Oh thank goodness for awesome audiobooks. This year I discovered the amazingness that is Laini Taylor!
9. I finally got around to reading Lish McBride‘s 2010 debut, Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (followed immediately by the 2012 sequel, Necromancing the Stone). I now ask myself two questions. 1. Why in the world did I wait so long to read this crazy-fun book? 2. When will there be more?
10. Megan McCafferty‘s Jessica Darling is the darling of YA and I finally know why. Sloppy Firsts is adorable and I will be working my way through the rest of the series.
This would not be a typical Top Ten list if it didn’t include at least 12 items. The following bonus new-to-me authors are also 2012 debuts and I want more from them. Preferably right now.
11. Huntley Fitzpatrick‘s My Life Next Door is my new favorite YA romance. Remember all the buzz and excitement about Anna and the French Kiss? Right. Well MLND is this year’s Anna. Totally.
12. The writing team of Martin Leicht and Ilsa Neal gave me the gift that is Mothership this year. I am eternally grateful and eagerly await more. Do yourself a favor and check out this campy gem.
What new-to-you authors did you enjoy this year?