This week’s Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, is all about the light side. Those fun, breezy, or humorous books that are guaranteed to entertain without any effort on the part of the reader. As I was compiling my list I noticed that it is super girly, so my new goal is to find light reads for guys. Any suggestions?
1. The Ruby Oliver series by E. Lockhart. Very cute, very funny.
2. Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman. This is Jane Austen meet Glee.
3. Also Known As by Robin Benway. Spies + kissing=fun times!
4. Mothership by Martin Leicht. I can’t plug this goofy, campy book enough. Laugh out loud.
5. Poison by Bridget Zinn. I recently enjoyed this charming debut. A must read for the fairy tale lover.
6. Going Vintage by Lindsay Leavitt. Everything old is new again in this retro-inspired new novel.
7. Past Perfect by Leila Sales. Just look at that cover! How can it not be fun?
8. No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman. Hey! Look at that, I thought of some guy-friendly light reads!
9. Carter Finally Gets It by Brent Crawford. A hilarious and awkward look at being a freshman guy.
10. The Big Book of Barry Ween by Judd Winick. I love this giant collection of Barry Ween adventures. It’s like Bart Simpson meets Calvin and Hobbes. Totally guy-friendly.
The Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kindgom by Christopher Healy. I love this middle grade book about the Princes Charming and their not-so-princely charms.
How about some Adult reads (that would also probably appeal to some teens)?
The Flavia de Luce mystery series by Alan Bradley. 1950s England, plucky pre-teen sleuth who has a love of poisons.
The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. My favorite flavor of book candy. Predictable, light, and often ridiculous.
What’s one your light and fun list? Any great guy reads? I obviously need them!