It’s time for another Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is Beach Reads. It will come as no surprise to regular readers that I intent to cheat a little on this one. Have you recovered from your shock? Ok, then, let’s move on. You see, next week’s list is going to be my Summer TBR list and there are way more than ten books on that list. So, rather than recommending books that I think you take to the beach (because I have read them and loved them), I am going to list the ten books that I would take to the beach if I had to go to the beach. Which I don’t. Thank god. Sand is evil. This list should be called Top Ten Farm Reads, because that’s where I will be vacationing. Chickens, horses, and mountains. No sand.
1. The Last Word by Lisa Lutz. The final *sob* Spellman’s book! Actually, I would definitely recommend the Spellman Files as awesome beach read.
2. Sizzlin’ Sixteen or Smokin’ Seventeen by Janet Evanovich. Oh, look, here I go again recommending a beach read…I have Sixteen at home now
and may get to it before I head to the farm and couldn’t wait for vacation. Stephanie, Ranger, and Morelli are the perfect vacation companions. Start with One for the Money.
3. Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty. I think it is time to revisit Jessica Darling! It helps that I own this series and paperbacks travel nicely. I suppose if you enjoy reading about snarky heroines and swoony boys while you at the beach then you might enjoy this series. Start with Sloppy Firsts.
4. The Madman’s Daughter by Megan Shepard. This was a Nook deal of the day a while back. Have Nook. Will Travel. Also, did you know that bizarre, disturbing and creepy books make awesome beach reads? Seriously. The calming lapping of waves cancels out the nightmare-inducing horror. Try it, it works!
5. How My Summer Went Up in Flames by Jennifer Salvato Doktorski. Every summer vacation needs a road trip book!
6. BZRK Reloaded by Michael Grant. I am so fortunate to have friends in high places! I am so excited that I don’t have to wait until October to read it and I love the new covers. Also, see above, re: creepy books and beaches. Finally someone gave some awesome cover love to one of Michael Grant’s books. ’bout time.
7. Harry Potter and…by J.K. Rowling. Beach time is the perfect time for rereading. You know, just in case you find yourself napping or if you accidentally enjoy a few too many fruity beverages, you won’t miss anything awesome in your book because you have already read it! I am ready to get back into the world of Hogwarts. I am not sure if I will start at the beginning or jump into The Chamber of Secrets. Decisions, decisions.
8. The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson. This is another one that I own on my Nook. I have been meaning to read if for ages. I have been trying not to start a bunch of new series, but I think my summer vacation will require a new fantasy read. Bonus points for being written by a local author.
9. Jessica Rules the Darkside by Beth Fantaskey. I just realized that I haven’t read a vampire book in a while and I am on a mission to finish series! Win-win.
10. The Outcasts by John Flanagan. I thought I could wait a little longer to start this new series, but who am I kidding? I miss my Rangers so much and I think the only way to make it better is to become friends with some Skandians. Makes sense, right?
This is just the tip of the TBR iceberg! I can’t wait for my vacation to start!