Demons, ghosts, and monsters, oh my! It’s time for all things spooky, creepy, and down-right terrifying. I am big baby when it comes to scary things and I refuse to watch horror movies (or even commercials for horror movies), but I still like a good fright in the form of a book. That I read during the day. In public. And the book can’t even come home with me. Those are the rules. Here are my picks for Halloween Reads. Oh, and stop by The Broke and the Bookish for more terrifying lists.
1. The Diviners by Libba Bray. I think this book is so scary. Seriously. I have read it once and I know I want to read it again. I want to listen to the audio but the thought of actually hearing the Naughty John song freaks me out. I will never be able to unhear it.
2. In the Shadow of the Blackbirds by Cat Winters. I just recently read this one. It is delightfully creepy!
3. Bad Girls Don’t Die by Katie Alender. This is a great series. Just creepy enough to make me nervous, but not terrifying. *ahem, Diviners*
4. Ten by Gretchen McNeil. This is a creepy mystery/thriller. It reads like a teen slasher movie!
5. The Stone Child by Dan Poblocki. The monsters from books come to life in this unique horror story.
6. I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga. Serial Killer. That is all. Game is even scarier.
7. The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson. Speaking of serial killers, this one stars the ghost of Jack the Ripper. Spooky!
8. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. This is my favorite zombie series ever.
9. Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride. Delightfully dark and droll.
10. Locke & Key by Joe Hill. This graphic novel series is so awesome. It’s very creepy.