This week’s Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish is all about unappealing covers. Many of you have heard my rants about Michael Grant’s Gone series covers (if not, let me catch you up: I hate them) and how much I also hate the redesigned covers of The Curse Workers series by Holly Black. This is old news. I had to dig deep to find some new bad covers. I found this to be surprisingly difficult. I went through my Goodreads list of books read this year and found that there were just a handful of duds.
1. Ashfall and Ashen Winter by Mike Mullin. The first image is the original cover. It’s not great. Sadly, I don’t really care for the redesign either. The heads are weird and I really don’t like the red on Ashen Winter. It looks like a giant muscle.
2.Texas Gothic and Spirit and Dust by Rosemary Clement-Moore. These covers just scream FUN, don’t they? Not. Sure, there are ghosts and they are a little spooky, but in a Scooby-Doo kind of way. And what is up with the giant eyeball? Dislike.
3. The Rules by Stacey Kade. I added this one because I don’t like the girl on the cover. But I just now noticed for the first time the guy leaning in for a kiss. How did I read this book and not notice that?!?
4. What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton. I loved this book and I had the privilege of working with the author on a program. My book club is currently reading this book and I can’t wait to discuss it. I am just not a fan of the cover.
5. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Ok, so this one is not all that bad. I like the font type and the bold colors, but I can’t help but wonder if it could have been cooler. The book is so cool.
6. Stranger Still by Martin Leicht. I haven’t even had a chance to read this yet, but I am already annoyed by the cover. What was wrong with the cute/funky cover of Mothership? Nothing, I tell you, nothing at all. I hate when they mess with a good thing. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
7. Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray. Speaking of messing with a good thing…who in their right mind thought that this was a good idea? The cover of The Diviners is so cool. I love it and I am going to be super peeved when my hardcovers do not match! Hate it.
8. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. It’s not the worst ever, but it’s not my favorite. I love the font type and I think the second and third covers are better, but I am just now a fan of that blue feathered mask.
9. Mostly Good Girls by Leila Sales. Again, it’s not horrible, but I would like to call a do-over!
10. Perfect Chemistry series by Simone Elkeles. Oh, man, are these cheesy. There are definitely steamy scenes in the books, but they don’t translate well to models on covers.
It is so sad when bad covers happen to great books.