This week The Broke and The Bookish want to hear all about our 2013 new-to me author discoveries. While I did make a huge effort to finish series, I made a number of great author discoveries as well.
1. Brandon Sanderson has apparently written a gazillion and one books. Epic fantasies. I am going to have to clear my schedule and get busy, because after reading Steelheart, I am a fan!
2. Rainbow Rowell is definitely the IT Girl of 2013. I hopped on that bandwagon over the summer and haven’t looked back! I still have to read her debut and I am excited about her next book. Fangirl was a 2013 favorite!
3. Trish Doller’s debut, Something Like Normal was incredibly well received. But did I read it? Nope. I added it to my TBR list after reading Where the Stars Still Shine.
4. Cat Winters is a 2013 debut novelist, so technically she’s new to everyone. I loved In the Shadow of Blackbirds and can’t wait for her next book. One of my favorite discoveries of 2013!
5. Michelle Hodkin has been on my radar since her debut, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer came out in 2011. For some reason this book kept getting pushed to the bottom of the list. Well, this week I moved it to the top. I am not finished yet, but I am really liking it.
6. Kirsten Miller is the author of the Kiki Strike series, which I have never read. But, How to Lead a Life of Crime was totally bad*ss and I am excited for more. While I wait, maybe I should pick up some Kiki?
7. Mike Mullen is the author of the Ashfall series, about the aftermath of the eruption of a super volcano. First of all, it could happen. Seriously. Any day now…scientists just said so yesterday. So there’s that. Now I am all freaked out and can’t remember my second of all point. But rest assured it was a good one.
8. Jennifer Lynne Barnes as written a number of books, and to be perfectly honest, they haven’t really appealed to me. However, I just read her newest book, The Naturals, and I am hooked. I may not go back and read all of her previous books, but I will be watching for new stuff.
My 9 & 10 spot are for some local ladies. Ok, localish. We live in the same state! I have met them both. That’s local enough for me.
Colleen Clayton is the author of What Happens Next, a powerful story about a girl coping with the aftermath of a sexual assault. I really loved this book and Colleen was so generous with her time and did a program for me at my library. I am big fan and hope she has a new book soon!
And last, but not least is Mindee Arnett. Her debut novel, The Nightmare Affair, came out this year, but 2014 is shaping up to be stellar. I can looking forward to The Nightmare Dilemma and I am super excited about the start of her new series, Avalon. They had me at Firefly.
I think I made some great discoveries. Who should I read next?