Happy Monday, everyone. After barely working at all last week this week is going to be a real shock to the system! I’m not scared; this week is going to be awesome. I am taking a new yoga class tonight, tomorrow I have my D & D kids at the library, and Friday I am finally going to see Catching Fire. Lots to look forward to! And I have some great books to work on (and I just finished some awesome books too!) Here’s a quick look at what I have been reading:
Boy, did I have an awesome reading week! Hm, lots of aliens here. Interesting.
- A Stranger Thing by Martin Leicht. This sequel to Mothership (which I LOVED) was just as much fun. This volume had more alien action, a shocking twist, and a cliffhanger ending.
- A Breath of Frost by Alyxandra Harvey. This one took my forever to get into, but once I did I found that I really liked it. In fact, I am still thinking about the characters. Regency era drama and witches!
- The Fall of Five by Pittacus Lore. I really cannot figure out why I am so hooked on this series. But, I am. Lots of action and betrayal in this latest volume and now I need the next.
- Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. This fantasy series has been on my TBR list for a while. I am so happy that I finally dove in. It is terrible and lovely like The Daughter of Smoke and Bone is terrible and lovely. Make sense? Also, Mal!! Of course, in my mind he looks just like a young Nathan Fillion. Enjoy.
- Saga, vol. 2 by Brian K. Vaughan. This new series from native Clevelander and author of Y: Last Man is so truly bizarre that I cannot even begin to describe it. Intergalactic race wars, rocket ships made from tree, and a pair of star-crossed lovers. I loved it even more than the first volume.
I picked up The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer on Playaway. This was an impulse pick and I am really getting into this story of enduring friendship, art, and success. It’s a nice break from all the alien madness! I just started Sabriel by Garth Nix. I have heard great things about this series and I am ready to give it a try.
The Eye of Minds by James Dashner is my Teen’s Choice pick for this month. I am about half way through and it is reminding me a little of Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Small Town Sinners by Melissa Walker is my Random Reads pick of the month. It was a really slow start for me, but about a third of the way in the story took an interesting turn and I am anxious to see where things go. I just got an advanced copy of Gene Luen Yang’s upcoming graphic novel, The Shadow Hero. This is a re-imagining of the first Asian superhero, The Green Turtle. Finally, I am trying to get into The Coal Elf by Maria DeVivo. This was another one that was recommended by a teen reader.
This could change, of course, but I would like to work on my Winter TBR list, so I might pick up Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis. I also have the newest Fables sitting at home. How have I ignored it for so long?? And finally, Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender needs to be read or brought back. No more hanging out at my house!