Happy Monday! I hope everyone enjoyed this beautiful weekend. I had a strangely sports-filled weekend. Friday night baseball, Saturday morning soccer game, and a hockey game in evening. It was nice to be out and about after being sick last week. The one and only sort of silver lining to sick days? I got a lot of reading done!
- Chasers by James Phelon was recommended by a teen reader, so I will have a full review up sometime soon. It wasn’t a favorite, but I might read the next book in the series. This first book left me with only questions and no answers.
- A Traitor in the Tunnel by Y.S. Lee is the third book in The Agency series. This was my Random Read for the month, so look for a full review as well. I really enjoy these Victorian-era mysteries. The heroine is a mixed-race (Irish and Chinese) orphan who is trained to be a spy.
- Shades of Earth by Beth Revis is the third book in the Across the Universe series. This series follows Amy, a teen from Earth who is frozen and sent to space with her family and a number of other people who will colonize a new planet. Things do not go according to plan and Amy is unfrozen early. The second book reveals a number of startling secrets about the mission and the ship, Godspeed. The third book reveals even more shocking information about the planet they are meant to be colonizing. All in all a fun series and with an exciting conclusion!
- More Than This by Patrick Ness is really hard to describe without spoiling things. The first part of the story introduces readers to Seth, a teen who makes the decision to commit suicide. What happens next is strange and thought-provoking and a little mind-bending. Did you think you were getting an “issues” book? Ha! This is an excellent pick for the serious reader who enjoys a bit of philosophy and science fiction.
- Locke & Key, vol. 6: Alpha & Omega by Joe Hill is the final book in a dark and disturbing graphic novel series. This series is an addicting mix of magic and shadows and horror. Loved it and hope for more from Joe Hill!
- The Accident by Chris Pavone is a suspense book about a book! Win.
- Little Brother by Cory Doctorow is about a group of teens caught up in the aftermath of a terrorist attack.
- The Elite by Kiera Cass is the sequel to The Selection. While I enjoyed the first book, I am really kind of disgusted with this one. I am going to be annoyed if I feel compelled to read The One.
- The Bar Code Tattoo by Suzanne Weyn is a Teen’s Choice for the month.
- Enchantment by Orson Scott Card is the other Teen’s Choice read for the month.
- Nantucket Red by Leila Howland is an e-galley and the sequel to Nantucket Blue.