This week’s Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish is an ode to friendships.
1. Also Known As by Robin Benway. Maggie has grown up as a spy, living a life of adventure on the go. There has never been time for friends, until an assignment brings the family back, to settle in New York. Enter Roux, the best bestie ever!
2. The Ranger’s Apprentice series by John Flanagan. One of the main themes throughout this series is friendship. I just love the relationships between Halt and Will, and Will and Horace.
3. Into the Wild Nerd Yonder by Julie Halpern is about one girl’s quest to find new friends. Because her old ones totally suck. She branches out, discovers new interests, meets new people, and she ultimately finds herself. Love this one!
4. Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg attempts to answer the age-old question: can guys and girls just be friends? Macallan and Levi have been best friends since middle school and they can’t figure out why everyone assumes they are a couple.
5. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz is a touching story of friendship between two boys. Ari was an angry loner before he met Dante, but as their friendship grows Ari learns a lot about himself and his family.
6. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater is about magic and fate and myths and true love, but at its core is the friendship amongst the four boys from Aglionby Academy. Gansey is the glue that holds these boys together. It is truly magica.
7. The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extance is the story of an unlikely friendship between an epileptic teen and a reclusive American expat and Vietnam veteran. This book will certainly have a spot on my favorites of 2014 list.
8. The Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter has some of the best female friendships around. Sure, the girls are all training at a top-secret spy school, but Cammie, Bex, Liz, and Macey really have each others’ backs.
9. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta is a beautifully heartbreaking look at friendship.
10. The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan starring Percy, Anabeth, and Grover has one of my favorite group of friends since those loveable Harry Potter kids!
Runners Up: Winger by Andrew Smith, Okay For Now by Gary Schmidt, and I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak.