As we approach the midpoint of 2014, The Broke and the Bookish are asking for a best of 2014…so far list. One things is clear to me: making an end of the year favorites list is going to be painful! After a little more than five months of reading I had to make two lists to accommodate all of my favorites. I made a best of YA and a best of Non-YA. It is obviously time for some cheating…
Favorite reads so far:
1. Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg. I loved this cute YA romance!
2. Shadow and Bone & Seige and Storm by Leigh Bardugo. I am late to the Grisha party, but I am so happy that I finally listened to this series. The final book comes out soon and I can’t wait to find out how it all ends.
3. Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys. This author is officially on my automatically-read-whatever-they-put-their-name-on list.
4. Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers. Two questions. 1. Why did I wait so long to read this book? and 2. Why have I not read the second book yet? Seriously. Excellent stuff.
5. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. This book was so unlike all of her other books. So unexpected and awesome.
6. Cress by Marissa Meyer. Why do have to wait so long for more? Love, love, love.
7. Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige. This dark debut sucked me in, kept me guessing, and left me desperate for more.
8. Far From You by Tess Sharpe. This is another intense debut novel. A little mystery, a little heartbreak. Certainly a solid first novel.
9. Tease by Amanda Maciel. I just finished this debut novel and I am still trying to wrap my head around it. The content is so upsetting, but I think it is a powerful and important book. It is not often that we get the bully’s side of the story.
10. The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence. This is such a special book. It has all the feels.
I also LOVED these Non-YA books: