This week The Broke and the Bookish are talking book cover trends. I am not sure if all of these count as trends, but there are all likes and dislikes of mine.
1. I love an illustrated cover and I apparently also like black covers.
2. I also like when the majority of the cover is text or has a cool font.
3. As much as I love an elaborate cover, sometimes a simple cover with a bold color or pattern is just as appealing.
4. Covers that depict something relevant to the book.
5. Gender-neutral covers.
6. People on the cover. I am just not a fan. I feel like they date books and the majority of faces on book covers are white and/or don’t match the characters.
See how much better that new cover for Gone is?
7. People in general bother me, but girls in gowns? Ugh.
“Let me just sniff my pit real quick…”
8. Covers that make books too girly so guys won’t pick them up.
9. Covers that have nothing to do with the book or are misleading
I actually love the cover for Pointe, but I think it’s misleading. I originally avoided it because I thought it was about ballet.
I don’t have a #10 this week, so how about some other cover that I love?