Happy Monday! I am still trying to work out my massive Halloween sugar overdose. I am also starting to panic about how close we are to the end of the year. I fear I may have been overly ambitious with my 2014 reading goal (my total slacking on reading hasn’t helped either). I need to somehow read/listen to 44 more books before January 1. *sigh* How about another shameful Monday reading list?
- The Inventor’s Secret by Andrea Cremer. In this alternate reality “steampunk” series opener the American Revolution never occurred and the British Empire is a sprawling industrial machine. Sounds promising, right? It’s not. I found this book to be boring and full of cliches. A ridiculous romance takes center stage, at the expense of the actual plot. Also, throwing in a few gadgets does not give you a steampunk novel.
- Playing with Fire by Derek Landy. This is the second book in the Skulduggery Pleasant series (which is quickly becoming a new favorite of mine!). The Council of Elders has been rocked with betrayal, an evil sorcerer has mysteriously escaped from prison, a vampire is out to get Valkyrie, and the return of the Faceless Ones seems inevitable. Magic and adventure and danger and snark, this series has it all! Love it.
- The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith. This one is so long. I am enjoying it very much, but it feels like it is taking forever. I have 1.5 discs to go!
- Torn Away by Jennifer Brown. This is my new Playaway, randomly picked up at the library. So far so good.
- Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography…I am savoring this one and will probably finish tonight.
- Dream a Little Dream by Kerstin Gier. I have barely started my arc of this one, but I am confident it will be great!
These are my book club selections for November.