I had a nice busy weekend during which I managed to once again NOT finish painting my bathroom and NOT start my spring yard clean-up. That is all going to have to wait until I return from visiting my sister and brand new nephew in Montana! Only 2 more sleeps! I also didn’t get much reading done either, but I did spend a lot of time with my nephews. Yesterday at the zoo I learned this interesting fact about elephants: they sleep on their sides, but only for about an hour at a time. I also learned that Willy, our zoo’s only male elephant is 11 feet tall and weights 13,000 lbs! Despite being social animals, he can only stand the company of the zoo’s four cows for a few hours at a time. My brother said he could relate, having grown up with 6 sisters!
It’s Monday! What Are You Reading is hosted by Book Journey (she is on a blogging break right now) and Teach Mentor Texts.
- The Motherless Oven by Rob Davis-♥♥♥. I am not really sure that I have words for this one. It’s quite possibly the weirdest graphic novel that I have ever read (and I am in love with Saga by Brian Vaughan. Talk about weird). This one can’t be found in our collection. I borrowed it through our Interlibrary Loan system.
- Mission Flats by William Landay-♥♥♥. When a well-known Boston D.A. is found dead in a cabin in a small town in Maine, the local police chief heads to the city to investigate. He is immediately immersed in a world of drugs, secrets, and conspiracies that span 20 years. This is the first book from the author of Defending Jacob. A twisty-turny police thriller with a surprise ending!
- Lockwood & Co: the Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud-♥♥♥♥. The paranormal investigators of Lockwood & Co. have returned for another dangerous job! Competing against their rivals, the Fittes Agency, Anthony, Lucy and George must find locate a deadly relic created by a Victorian doctor who was obsessed with communicating with the dead. The team receives help from an unusual source: a skull in a ghost jar. This second installment of the series is loads of fun! Creepy and suspenseful. Readers will get lost in the imaginative alternate reality.
- The Lost City of Z by David Grann. Time for some nonfiction!
- The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz. I rarely reread, but I had an urge to revisit the Spellmans!
- Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers. I am really taking my time with this one…
- The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall by Katie Alender. More ghosts!
For My Eyes:
I spent a lot of time with my nephews this weekend and we managed to watch both Big Hero 6 (which we loved!) and Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (which the boys really liked!). I also made more progress in Battlestar Galactica season 2.5. After a brief and frustrating bout of insomnia, I turned to the familiar first season of Supernatural.
Undisclosed is a new podcast the examines the case of Adnan Syed. I devoured Serial and was excited to discover this new podcast.