Happy Monday! I am beginning to wonder if I have a problem with my new phone. I’ve been bingeing on podcasts and digital ARCS and audiobooks. The books on my shelves and nightstand are gathering dust. I’ve been so busy around my house that I have been neglecting my coffee shop routine. I guess that’s the one of the nice things about books-they’ll still be there when you are ready to pick them up.
- The Wicked Will Rise by Danielle Paige-♥♥♥♥♥. The second installment of the Dorothy Must Die series delivers fast-paced action and plenty of answers. I love the twists and turns and can’t wait for more.
- The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall by Katie Alender-♥♥♥♥. Restless spirits and a mysterious evil haunt the house that was once an insane asylum. This story takes an unusual spin on the traditional haunted house story. Told from the point of view of ghosts, this one is spooky!
- What Did You Eat Yesterday, vol. 1 by Fumi Yoshinaga-♥♥♥. The day-to-day life of two middle-aged gay men is told around their dinner table. Simple and sweet and full of amazing food!
- Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll-♥♥♥♥. Ani Fanelli has spent years perfecting her outward persona in an attempt to escape a traumatic past. When her past resurfaces the pressure of maintaining her secret threatens everything she has built. Ani is not exactly likeable, but her story is definitely interesting!
- The Terrorist’s Son by Zak Ebrahim-♥♥♥♥. The son of El-Sayyid Nosair, the terrorist who killed the leader of the Jewish Defense Fund and plotted the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center from prison, writes about what it was like to grow up carrying the burden of his father’s actions. This is a short, but powerful story and another Alex Award winner is crossed of my list.
- Alex + Ada, vol. 2 by Sarah Vaughn-♥♥♥♥♥. No spoilers for volume one, but it’s safe to say that tensions rise between humans and robots. I love this new sci-fi series!
- Forever Odd by Dean Koontz.
- I Crawl Through It by A.S. King-super weird!
- Daughter of Deep Silence by Carrie Ryan
- Last Stand of Dead Men by Derek Landy-more Skulduggery Pleasant!
Current TV Binges:
I am particularly in love with Mortified. This podcast features adults reading from their childhood journals in front of a live audience. It is truly hilarious. I am almost caught up with the Strangers archives. I love this one too. These stories are often so moving and inspiring.
A new serial story:
Last week also brought TWO new episodes in the story of Iris! If you are looking for a new reading adventure, I recommend checking out this story. You’ll find Iris at danamcswain.com.
That’s it for me. Happy Reading!