Happy Monday everyone! In case you missed my post over the weekend, I have been selected to be a Round 2 Cybils Awards judge! Mark your calendars because nominations for these awards open October 1. October is also when the bi-annual Dewey’s 24-Hour Readathon takes place. Save the date: October 18th! Oh happy day! It’s time to start making a readathon TBR list. I am so far behind on my reading goal and I am counting on this readathon to get me back on track. My reading these days has been so sporadic that I hardly have anything to report. 😦 But, it’s Monday, so here goes!
It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Book Journey and Teach Mentor Texts. Be sure to stop over for more great lists.
- Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern. I am not sure what I had expected of this one, but I was certainly a bit surprised by some of the twists and turns of the story. I really liked Amy and Matthew and I appreciated the fascinating look at what it is like to live with a disability.
- The Secret Place by Tana French. Stephen Moran is back in this fifth book of the Dublin Murder Squad series. When new evidence comes to light in a cold case, Moran jumps at the opportunity to work the case. The case involves the murder of a teenaged boy on the grounds of a private girl’s school and Holly Mackey, daughter of Detective Mackey, appears to be involved in some manner. I
adore am slightly obsessed with The Dublin Murder Squad. This latest installment is magical and have savored every word.
- Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo. I set aside Seven for a Secret by Lyndsay Faye for the time being in order to finish this series.
I have been living a relatively drama free life for a while now. Apparently the universe found out and decided I was due for some chaos! Luckily it’s nothing I can’t handle, but it really is cutting into my reading time. I am counting October to be a calmer, book-filled month. Until then, I will continue to plug away at my books when I can.
Oh! I did recently learn that Cassandra Clare and Holly Black will be at my local Barnes & Noble in October! Northeast Ohio is like a black hole when it comes to author visits. This is EPIC! This is HUGE! I am so freaking excited! I will use all of the !!!!
Ok, time for another brief Monday check-in.
It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Book Journey and Teach Mentor Texts.
- Legend by Marie Lu. I reread this one for the third time for my book club. It really is fantastic dystopian.
- The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde. At Kazam, an employment agency for magicians, work is hard to come by. Modern conveniences are cheap and magic is not as powerful as it once was. But when the death of the last dragon is predicted, many in the magical community take this as a sign of chance, as a sign that Big Magic is coming. For Jennifer Strange, a foundling and manager of Kazam, big changes are in store for her. I am so happy that I randomly picked this audiobook. It is charming and funny and magical. I love the ethical dilemmas, the jabs at corporations and greed, and most of all, the quarkbeast. My middle school book club is clamoring to read fantasy and this will be the first one I hand them. Loved it.
- Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern. This is my dog walking book. I am enjoying it more than I had expected.
- Seven for a Secret by Lyndsay Faye. This is sequel to Gods of Gotham, another pleasant surprise for me!
- Feed by M.T. Anderson. I am rereading this for my high school book club. It is pretty disturbing. Facebook is like one step away from a feed…
- The Secret Place by Tana French. The fifth book in the Dublin Murder Squad series. I want to be reading this one ALL. The. Time. *shakes fist at job*
- Firebug by Lish McBride. I swear it just started getting REALLY good. Why don’t I have time to read? WHY?
- Letters from Skye by Jessica Brockmole. This is the perfect bedtime book. I read a few letters at a time and then it’s lights out.
I don’t even know where to begin…
Posted in Book Lists, Book Reviews, Mondays with Megan
Tagged ARC, audiobooks, Cammie McGovern, It's Monday! What Are You Reading?, Jasper Fforde, Jessica Brockmole, Lish McBride, Lyndsay Faye, M.T. Anderson, Marie Lu, tana french