Oh, dear, it must be Monday because I spent a nice chunk of time Saturday preparing this post and in one swift motion this morning I managed to delete it. I am not actually sure how, but it is irretrievable. Gah! I have no idea what I wrote. I am pretty sure I said something about being sick and hitting a reading slump. Oh! Wait. I remember. I recently took over ordering and maintaining the Adult Graphic Novel collection here at the library so I combined my goal of getting to know the collection better with my overall 2015 reading goal and came up with the number 225. I am going to be reading a lot of graphic novels this year! Also, I decided to try my hand at Tumblr. It’s a work in progress, but you can check it out at ya-why-not.
I have 2 weeks worth of reading to report on!
It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Book Journey and Teach Mentor Texts.
- Girls Like Us by Gail Giles-This is a Cybils Finalist. It’s all very hush, hush for now.
- Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula by Andi Watson-What a cute YA graphic novel. Coming-of-age, romance, and the undead.
- Trillium by Jeff Lemire-A super trippy sci-fi standalone from the author of the Sweet Tooth series.
- The Ticking by Renée French-A strange little graphic novel with very few words. The story of the a boy with facial deformities is told mostly through weird but lovely black and white pencil drawings.
- When I was the Greatest by Jason Reynolds-Another Cybils Finalist.
- Stitches by David Small-A graphic memoir, fitting from YA and Adult readers. Loved it.
- Revival by Stephen King-Not my favorite from King, but a solid character study with a bizarre ending.
- Gabi, A Girl in Pieces by Isabel Quintero-Yet another Cybils Finalist.
- The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion. This follow-up to The Rosie Project has been heavily criticized, but I am still enjoying the audio. It is early in the book, but so far no complaints.
I still need to pick a new YA, but I have so many choices! I can’t decide.
It’s not bad, but I just didn’t care.
Posted in Book Lists, Book Reviews, Mondays with Megan
Tagged ARC, audiobooks, Gale Giles, graphic novels, It's Monday! What Are You Reading?, Jason Reynolds, Jeff Lemire, Stephen King, Young Adult Fiction Cybils Awards
Hello Monday! I had a busy and productive weekend and caught up on some sleep so I am uncharacteristically cheerful and excited about the week. I have a couple of fun stuff happening this week at the library. Today I am hosting a Day of the Dead program. We’ll be learning about and decorating traditional Mexican Sugar Skulls. Tomorrow is a meeting of my new D&D group. They are planning on coming in costume! I can’t wait to see them all. I am also excited to show off some of my newly acquired DM skills!
For my reading week I am looking forward to diving into Allegiant, by Veronica Roth. I couldn’t get to it last week because I was still working on House of Hades by Rick Riordan. I am still mulling that one over in my brain…
My reading pace has slowed down a bit, but I am still working my way through a giant list of books.
It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?
Be sure to visit Book Journey and Teach Mentor Texts to see what others are reading.
I finished the second volume in the Sweet Tooth series by Jeff Lemire. The first volume was not bad and I did not have high expectations for the second. I am glad I decided to continue the series! There is so much more background information in the second volume. The series is set in a post-apocalyptic world destroyed by a plague. All of the children born after the plague are strange human-animal hybrids and no one seems to know why. It’s the kind of weird that’s right up my alley. The dogs and I walked our way through Love, Life, and Elephants by Daphne Sheldrick. I really enjoyed this memoir of a life lived with wild animals in Kenya. Finally, I finished House of Hades by Rick Riordan. I loved spending time with my favorite demi-gods and can’t wait for the final chapter of their story.
I am still working on Ptolemy’s Gate by Jonathon Stroud. I was a little iffy on it last week, but the story has picked up and regained my interest. I also started The Eighty-Dollar Champion by Elizabeth Letts, continuing my nonfiction audio streak. I guess I am into true animals stories these days. Who knew?
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick de Witt is my Westerns selection for my work genre discussion group. I am also making slow progress in Born of Illusion and Iron Traitor.
I need to read this before I accidentally read spoilers!
Posted in Book Lists, Book Reviews, Mondays with Megan, Teen events
Tagged audiobooks, Iron Fey, It's Monday! What Are You Reading?, Jeff Lemire, nonfiction, rick riordan, sugar skulls, Veronica Roth