Today’s Top Ten Tuesday, brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish is all about memorable secondary characters. You know, those best friends, beloved pets, and sidekicks who often steal the show (and our hearts).
1. Corey “The Living Stoner” Livingston from What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton. There is definitely more than meets the eye with this A/V kid. I loved Corey and I promise you will too. He’s one of the good guys.
2. Bex, Liz, and Macey from The Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter. These ladies are everything a teenaged spy needs in a best friend/roommate/co-operative.
3. Magnus Bane (and Henry) from The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare. Obviously Magnus, because he is fabulous, but also sweet, sweet Henry. The only time I have ever put down a book in rage was while reading Clockwork Princess. If you have read it you probably know exactly the moment I am talking about.
4. Halt (and Tug) from The Ranger’s Apprentice series by John Flanagan. I love Halt and his gruff, dry wit. Of course, it is often Tug, the clever little horse, who steals the show. I have to confess that I have cried over that little horse.
5. Zuzana from The Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Liani Taylor. She is one tiny firecracker and she always has Karou’s back. I love her no-nonsense attitude.
6. Wilf from the Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness. Wilf is a tiny ray of goodness in a series full of ugliness.
7. Lucy from The Drake Chronicles by Alyxandra Harvey. This is still my favorite vampire series and Lucy is still my favorite human companion. She sassy, snarky, and holds the spotlight in a room full of hot vampire brothers.
8. Xemerius, the gargoyle demon from the Ruby Red trilogy by Kerstin Gier. He is a cranky little invisible dude. And he is hilarious.
9. Balder, the garden gnome from Going Bovine by Libba Bray. Balder totally steals the show. Best road trip partner ever.
10. Finally, my all-time favorite non-human sidekick will always be Bovril, the perspicacious loris from the Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld. He is a cheeky little fellow.